1. The Armory
236 W. Jefferson st., Armory, 1876, Late 1890s, 1907,
The Armory building was designed to be used as a
combination social/drill center, as well as offices and depositories for
arms and equipment. During times of national emergency, it was to
serve as a fortress, a function expressed by its medieval-castle detailing
and massing. The first two Armories (1859, 1876) were designed by
Horatio Nelson White. The 1876 structure was adjusted and
expanded over the years to accommodate changing needs and functions.
The large central section housing the Drill Hall is of steel frame
2. Railway Station
225 S. Clinton St., Former DL&W Railroad Station,
1941, Renovated and Front Addition, 1984.
This was the second station built by the Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Railroad (1st station, 1877). Serving
passengers until 1958, it was used with elevated railroad tracks that
since the 1930s eliminated trains running through the city streets.
This flat-roofed rectangular Art Modern building has a streamlined
appearance. This style was popular in the 1930s and 40s.
The Jefferson Hotel
This corner has been the site of several hotels. The
last, the Jefferson Hotel, opened in 1928 with 140 "modern, fireproof
rooms," 120 of them had an attached bath. It was later renamed the Dome
Hotel and operated until
1986. The building was vacant until it reopened as the
Hawthorn Suites in 2003 with 60 rooms.
The flat-roofed 11-story structure is one of four in the district
to be of steel-frame construction, a mode of building established in
Syracuse by 1896. The brick-covered facades are articulated by the
regular rhythm of window openings. The two-story base, of light
colored stone, shows Neo-Classical revival ornamentation.
4. Loew's State Theater
423-37 S. Clinton St. and 362 S. Salina St., 1928,
This is the rear facade of the building that houses
the Landmark Theater, originally Loew's Theater, Marcus Loew
commissioned Thomas Lamb to design the movie palace, a prototype for two
New York City theaters. The exterior of the steel frame structure is
constructed in the Second Renaissance Revival style and expresses
its interior function; a theater with office space occupying the upper
5. Lynch Building
415-17 S. Clinton, 1874.
Above the building's first-floor level, rows of
arched windows are banded by belt courses stressing horizontality.
These are elements characteristic of Renaissance Revival buildings.
Fourth-story windows have wooden cut-out designs, a feature also used on
other commercial buildings in the district. A top floor was added in
1910. The facade is crowned by a finely detailed cornice.
6. Onondaga Music Building
410-16 Clinton St. and 214 W. Jefferson St.
This steel-frame structure was owned and occupied for
decades by Onondaga Music, one of the oldest retail companies in
continuous operation in the city's history. Copper-covered spandrels
are placed between brick pilasters that rise from the second to the fourth
story. Copper -- also used on window mullions -- was easier to work
than most other metals and was often used for ornamental work in
architecture. Ornamental brickwork runs along the cornice line.
7. Clinton Building
400-08 S. Clinton St., 1876, 1920's.
This commercial building was completely altered in
the 1920s, and 19th century cornice lines and brick ornamentation were
removed. Its Chicago windows -- broad central lights of plate glass
flanked by side lights -- refer to the commercial style associated with
early 20th century Chicago.
8. Neal & Hyde Building
318-22 S. Clinton St., 1883.
The brick building served as a drygoods warehouse and
store until the mid-190s, when the gabled towers were removed from the
roofline. The keystone in the central arch bears Salem Hyde's
initials. The building was designed by local architect
in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, with rusticated stone trim and
9. Donohue Building
312-316 S. Clinton St., c1885
The physician Florince Q. Donohue built this
structure as an office and residence. Reeded pilasters divide the
facade into two bays. The grouping of windows and a variety of
textures make this building a good example of the Queen Anne style.
Noteworthy are the ornate gable with two circular windows, and the
original stained-glass building sign in the center of the second story.
10. Butler Building
317-319 S. Clinton St., 1898.
A distinguishing feature of this commercial building with its cast-iron
storefront is the vertical grouping of windows under arches. This
widely-used design solution to the articulation of tall buildings was
introduced by H. H. Richardson, and developed by Henry Louis Sullivan,
both noted architects. Pilasters with ornate capitals separating
window-bays are New-Classical Revival elements.
11. 307-13 Clinton
The building at 307-09, on left, was originally built as a foundry and was
occupied by the Galvanized Iron Works. The adjacent building once
served as a factory with lodgings in the upper stories. Both
buildings were later owned and used by Witherill, a local dry-goods
company. In the early 1900s, a fifth story with a galvanized metal
cornice was added. By the 1870's galvanized sheet metal replaced
wood and stone for architectural elements. The adjacent Renaissance
Revival building as 311-13, on right, has cast-iron keystones in its
arched windows and a Neoclassical metal pediment (probably early 20th
century addition). These details were by then mass-produced and sold
12. Kirk Hotel
127-29 W. Fayette St., c1870.
This residential hotel was one of many hotels and boarding houses built in
response to thriving railroad activities in the area. The top floor was
added c1910, and part of the facade fronting S. Clinton St. was ornamented
with Neo-Classical Revival elements of pressed metal. Fine brickwork and
ornate window surrounds are architectural remains of this once-Italianate
13. Chamberlain Block
113-17 W. Fayette St., c1910.
The facade of this Renaissance Revival building is devoid of ornamentation
and is articulated by the rhythm of its window bays. A fifth floor has a
different window arrangement, and is enclosed by a belt course and a metal
cornice with paired brackets.
200 Block W. Fayette Street
This block of commercial buildings (including numbers 14 through 17
below) once contained some of the
largest and most handsome stores in the city. Several of these buildings
have modest facades on Walton St. Some have cast-iron storefronts and
large plate glass windows; the latter were, by 1870, available in this
country. A then-new material, galvanized sheet iron that could be rolled
and shaped into various ornamental shapes, was here introduced into the
city in the form of ornate cornices. Manufactured in Syracuse, these
cornices were light, durable, fireproof and inexpensive.
14. Tallman Block
219-225 W. Fayette St., c1871.
This Italianate brick structure, designed by local architect
Archimedes Russell, was built as a retail store and warehouse in the
1930's, the top floor, as well as the Italianate metal cornice, was
removed. Ornate metal hood moldings give the facade a rich decorative
15. Piper-Phillips Block
227-37 W. Fayette St., c1872, renovated 1987.
This Italianate building was constructed in three sections. Its upper
stories, ornamented with fine brickwork along the cornice line, were used
as a residential hotel for railroad employees. Originally a horse stable
connected the building with the Bentley-Settle building (36).
Bentley-Settle used the central and eastern storefront as a warehouse. A
metal cornice terminates the main facade with paired brackets and is
placed above the cast-iron storefront. Windows are headed by ornate metal
Seubert & Warner Building
239-241 W. Fayette St., c1875, renovated 1987.
The first issue of the Herald Journal was published here. The ornate main
facade is organized symmetrically. Windows with sandstone lintels are
grouped in recessed arches ornamented with fine brickwork. Brackets
support an Italianate cornice and a cornice above the storefront. The
building was designed by local architect
243-245 W. Fayette St., c1895, renovated 1987.
A projecting Italianate cornice with paired brackets and rusticated stone
lintels embellish this commercial building. Rusticated stone spandrels are
placed between brick pilasters that rise uninterruptedly to stress
verticality. The pilasters on the first level are of cast iron. The simple
design of this commercial building stands in contrast to its ornate
247-59 W. Fayette St., 1895, renovated 1986.
This commercial block was built by attorney Thomas Hogan in two stages, to
house a warehouse, a retail business, and a restaurant. Charles Colton
designed it in the Second Renaissance Revival style. A characteristic
feature is the different articulation of each floor. Second and third
level windows are grouped under arches and separated horizontally by
brickwork. Belt courses separate floor levels. Small attic windows and
dentils ornament the cornice line. The main entrance features
New-Classical ornamentation. Cross S. Franklin St. tot he northwest corner
of S. Franklin and Fayette Sts, the former site of the New York Central
301-07 W. Fayette St., 1876.
The Italianate building faced the New York Central Railroad Station.
Constructed in two phases, the Crown Hotel was, along with 20, 21 and 22,
one of a series of buildings erected here between 1869-90 in response to
the railroad. Notice the fine brickwork around windows and doors, and the
ornamental metal cornices in paired brackets.
This Italianate building features fine brickwork. Note the ornate metal
keystones and the projecting metal cornice. During the second half
of the 1800s, such metal architectural elements were mass produced and
could be ordered through trade catalogues.
313-17 W. Fayette
Some of the architectural elements of this two-story structure are almost
identical with those of the adjacent building.
321 W. Fayette St., 1869.
The Italianate building is the oldest in the row of seven structures that
constituted this commercial block. One of the first hotels in the
district, it is one of three remaining hotels in the area. Noteworthy is
the fine brickwork along the cornice line and above window openings.
Onondaga Paper and Twine Building
329-31 W. Fayette St., c 1875.
This brick building, which extends to Walton St., was originally
constructed for the Onondaga Paper and Twine Company. Note the fine
brickwork. It is the last building on this street in the district.
Labor Temple Building
309-15 S. Franklin St., 1887, renovated 1985.
Built by businessmen Jacob and Charles Crouse, this was originally known
as the Crouse Building. Penfield and Wilcox Bedding Manufactures occupied
it, as did the Penfield Manufacturing Company. When in 1927 it because the
office location for various local labor unions, the building's name was
changed to "Labor Temple." The richly-detailed main facade is divided into
three parts, each containing three window bays. The combination of
round-arched and rectangular windows as well as the symmetry of the main
facade are Renaissance Revival style features. There is find brickwork in
the recessed Richardsonian arch, between the second and third stories, and
along the stepped cornice line. Also notice the wooden cut-out panels in
306 S. Franklin
306 S. Franklin St., c1874.
This tree-story, two-bay brick building is the narrowest structure in the
district. Ornamental brickwork embellishes the cornice line.
308-310 S Franklin St., c1900, renovated c1981.
The bow-fronted building was originally built as a commercial laundry. It
has a cast-iron storefront ornamented with dentils.
The building is distinguished by fine brickwork. Windows with corbelled
hood moldings are grouped in recessed arches embellished with dentils, a
feature used in Classical and New-Classical Revival buildings.
Rising from the second story and extending above the roofline, brick
pilasters divide the facade of this three-story structure into three bays
in which windows are grouped vertically under arches. Metal panels placed
behind pilasters mark the division between second and third stories.
200-202 Walton St., 1873, addition, 204-10 Walton St., 1930's.
This commercial block was originally built as Grey Brothers' Boot and Shoe
Factory. Note the sign advertising Gray Shoes above the third story.
Brickwork around windows and sandstone sills are the only ornamental
features. The brick cladding of the steel frame addition harmonizes with
the material used in the older building. Steel frame construction made
large widows possible. This, along with fireproofing, made the 20th
century factory safer and more efficient than its 19th century
Originally built to house stables, this is one of the oldest structures
inthe distruct. Aluminum sheeting has covered the facade since the 1950s.
c1870, renovated 1987.
The two-story building was originally built as a stable. Good brick
detailing on many of the buildings in the area such as this one, indicates
that thee were bricklayers in the city who understood their craft.
Corbelled brick moldings ornament the windows of this four-story
commercial buiding. This is the rear facade of 23.
402-12 S. Franklin St., c1892.
The southwest corner of S. Franklin and Walton Sts is occupied by a large
commercial block that was built in two sections, which with a slightly
different window arrangement. The south section has a cast-iron
storefront. Brick pilasters divide its facade into five bays. The
storefront of the north section is supported by banded masonry piers.
Brick pilasters divide the facade of this section into three bays.
Ornamental brickwork and round arched windows distinguish the top story. A
stepped roofline -- a a popular design feature in the district -- is
ornamented with a band of dentils and unifies the block. The building was
originally used by a publishing and printing firm.
c1885, renovated 1987.
The second-level hayloft door indicates that 128 Walton St. was originally
built as a stable for a building on W. Fayette St., The facade is
embellished with fine brick datelining. Left of this building is 134
Walton St., c1890 (renovated 1986) and 136 Walton St., c1890. Both sere
built as commercial buildings. The brick structure on the corner, 144
Walton St., c1903 (renovated 1983) was built to house a carriage repair
shop. In the 1920's the structure was altered to accommodate a gas
120-24 Walton St., 1895, renovated 1987.
The brick building was used as a warehouse by the Bentley-Settle wholesale
grocery firm; its advertisement is still visible on the west facade of the
building. The firm was organized in 1896 when R. E. Bentley purchased the
interests of wholesale grocers G. N. Crouse & Company, and continued as a
wholesale business until 1973. The verticality of the building is stressed
by grouping windows under arches. Fine brickwork embellishes the stepped
The warehouse facade of the Italianate building that extends to W. Fayette
St. (14) is ornamented with brick detailing along the roofline and on
window surrounds. This is an example of a building with an ornate main
facade and an unadorned rear facade.